Monday, December 24, 2007

Don Quijote in Ube! ドン・キホーテ 宇部店!



So the other day I rode down to the latest place to open in good ol' Ube, Don Quijote. The first I Don Quijote I ever went to was the one in Sapporo. It seemed very random in it's selection of goods and it was quite bewildering. Of course that one seemed normal compared to the Don Quijote in Akihabara which is the home to idol group AKB48 and has an entire floor of costumes and a maid cafe. But a combination of the reasonably priced and the strange is what Don Quijote is all about. Some of the random things I found during my shopping:

Candy G-string:


Your penis? A faucet:


Kojima Yoshio mask:


And of course, the Billy Blanks costume:


Don Quijote has been trying to extend it's reach as they converted the old Kaheka Daiei/Holiday Mart in Honolulu late last year to create it's first overseas Don Quijote store. At the time, people in Hawaii seemed a bit confused, especially with the name. Then again, I never knew which it was (Daiei? Holiday Mart?) when I was living there anyway.

This is the second new big chain to open in Ube this year as a Kojima Denki opened near Fuji Grand back in October. *Sniff* My city is growing up *sniff*

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don Quijote?! Alls I can say is. Oh. My. God. That is the most freakin' confusing store in Hawaii I swear. If you thought Daiei was a mess before, it's a disaster zone now. The least they could do is give us the random-perverted items you have in Japan to make up for it. But no, we basically have Daiei's inventory just in a more confusing format.

lostinube said...

Isn't it great? And there's even a very small "adult" corner in the back. Not that I went inside or anything like that.

On the other hand, a can of SPAM (food of the gods, sent to earth from heaven) costs about the same as anywhere else in Japan: above four hundred yen. That's almost four dollars! Sick.

ShareThis